Friday, February 27, 2015

Where Are You?

Do not read if you have a weak stomach....

One Saturday in June, 2010 my husband and I were headed home after a nice long workout at Beale AFB.  As we approached Oak Ridge Rd., I noticed our neighbor's mailbox open.  (This was not uncommon for me to stop and close it.)  The latch on the mailbox was broken.  So I say, "Hey, stop and I will close our neighbor's mailbox."  So my husband stops and I walk to the mailbox to close it.  Peering in the mailbox, I see a large stack of mail and look at the date on the them.  Some of the pieces were from February, 2010.  So I close the mailbox and walk back to the car.  In my soul I am sensing something not right.  I say to my husband, let's go check on our neighbor.  In my soul--No Way--I knew what I could find.  Our neighbor was 86 and lived alone.  So we talk about the mail and we decide to go up to his home.  We decide it would be best to be neighborly and go check on him.  

We drive up to his house and I go to the door, knock and wait.  I peak in the side windows and see the mess on the floor, cat food bags, poop, litter, etc.   Then I hear a cat meowing and check the door knob.  It was unlocked, and I push it open and smell instant death.  UGH. My husband follows me in, asking what I am doing?  I start franticly calling out our neighbors name.  I head toward the kitchen, spare room and bathroom.  Cat following me and meowing like crazy.  There is no water in toilets and then I head toward the other end of the house.  My husband is standing at the doorway to a room like a statue, frozen in place.  He puts his hand up to stop me and I ask what?  He can't talk.  So I rush into room, get a brief look and see a decomposing body on a bed.  I grab my husband's hand and we walk to the kitchen.  I give the cat water, grab the phone and call 911.  My husband is asking what I am doing?  I tell my husband to see if there is more food for the cat.  The neighbor must have known his time was getting close, he left notes written in February about his last wishes, cremation, donation to an organization, and 6 bags of cat food. 

We go outside to wait and get relief from the smell.  We wait for the sheriff and cry.  The saddest part was that he died alone and nobody knew for months.  We helped the family care of the landscape and get the place looking good for his memorial.  I need to take care of the ones I love, my church family, to keep in touch, to show them I love and care for them. 

OH, NEXT TIME WE WILL CALL THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE FOR A WELFARE CHECK.

In case you were wondering... he had the mail continue to be delivered even if he did not come pick up for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment