Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Daily Grind... And I'm Not Talking Coffee

I was thinking about daily routines in my life and how they have changed over the last 25 years.  I have always been a jump out of bed and get right into the day kind of person.  Well, that is until a few years ago.  Now I sloth around for about 30 min. and then slowly greet the day.  I do not need long to get ready, but be prepared for a semi-damp hair look and no make-up (if I need it I will apply while driving).  When I was in high school I was up and to school straight away.  I remember sitting at the bus stop reading, which was almost a mile walk, or sitting in my car reading, once I got my car and license.  Which by tradition in our family was on my 16th birthday.  I worked at Burger King, babysat and at the Willo restaurant.  I was not athletic, though I was song leader(cheer-dancer),  water-ski club, manager of the softball team for 2 years, and kept score for the team.  I also kept score for baseball and softball teams in the area.   In my spare time I attended church and youth functions at the church.  My routine was pretty much the same throughout high school. 
After high school, I joined the United States Air Force and for the first time in my life I exercised daily, worked from 7am-4pm, attended college classes, church Bible Studies and events, and kept score for the intramural softball teams.  In my spare time I visited my family in southern Missouri and toured the state.   I loved camping and travelling throughout the mid-west. 
I got stationed at Beale AFB after 3 years in the service and met my husband.  My routine changed yet again.  I no longer had an eight hour a day job and lots of time to go to school or work-out.  Walking became my primary source of exercise.   With kids in school and for 9 years having a preschooler/toddler infant in my home, my routine was not boring.  A typical day in 1998....My husband left for work before the events of the day really unfolded.  I would wake the oldest up first, she is 13 and a "girlie-girl" and always has been.  It would take her a bit to get ready for the day.  Because she was awake, her sister would be awake also.  They shared a room.  Next I would put snacks together for school and by then the youngest son would be awake and ready for mommy attention.  He would be the one who could not occupy himself .  When he was awake you were on the job.  So I diligently get him focused on a task or playing.  Then wake the twins up.  They are all then getting ready(kinda) for the day.  It is a school day.  We eat breakfast together each morning.  I loved making big breakfasts for the kids to get their day started right.  Backpacks are packed from the night before and hanging by the back door, snacks packed (with love/encouragement notes for them).  
The oldest walks a block to the bus stop at 7:45am.  She attends Jr High in Wheatland, about 8 mi. away.  Unless she has a doctor appointment, she rides the bus everyday.  The rest of us have 15 min. to finish getting ready.  The twins attend Far West Middle School and the youngest attends Lone Tree School.  We walk most days, unless it is pouring rain  or one of the children have a doctor appointment.  We walk the 3 blocks to the school and drop the twins off first.  They like to be to school early to get the early recess time.  Then I walk the youngest son to his school and play on the playground until the bell rings.  Rachel is 3 and in a play group 3 days a week for the morning.  Four moms alternate days to watch the group and do various activities with them.  During her time there I work in the boys' classes and attend Bible Study.  I grade papers for the older boys' teacher and do lunch duty at the school.  It gives me a connection with them during the day.  (I end up working at their schools until they are all in high school) 
I pick the preschooler up at lunch.  We head home for a couple hours of lunch, nap, and house work.  I usually  prepared dinner then, because our evenings get crazy. 
We walk back to school to pick up the youngest son after school.  He and I do homework and play until the twins get home.  He is usually done with homework by then.  The twins play outside for a couple hours.  During sports season, which was almost always we have practice right after school.  All of us attend practice.  I do homework with the older three after dinner in the evening.   Once my husband gets home-he had an extra job of cleaning professional offices for some extra money-we spend time together as a family.  Some evenings we would attend church or I cleaned houses for people who were PCS-ing (or moving bases), for some extra money.  Those were late nights for me. 
Now my pace is slower.  I slowly wake up to a really quiet house, my husband has already left for the day.  I spend some time with God, and my blog.  Then off to get ready for work, I work out during the day, attend church functions in the evening, and spend time praying for my family. 
No matter what my routine has been God and family come first. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow--truly a Proverbs 31 Woman! Such an inspiration to all of us---you're not afraid of hard work, are you, girlfriend :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete