Saturday, February 7, 2015

Baby Shower


I cannot remember the last time I attended a baby shower and I have not had the privilege to plan a baby shower, until tonight!  I have learned that baby showers have changed since my baby showers.  
My first baby had two showers,one was given by my mom and was an afternoon gathering of women on my parents deck and one was given after he was born by a long time friend from our church, at her home (she was the one who sang in our wedding and gave us the helicopter ride on our honeymoon).  We had light snacks, cake, a game, and the showering of my firstborn of needed items for his first years.  At the time I was living in their home, I had to wait until my child was born to be able to move into a house on base.  I had sold an alto saxaphone for a Jenny Lind baby set.  The set was beautiful and came with a bassinette, crib, high chair, and changing table.  All of this was set up in a bedroom in my parents home.  I moved from Knob Noster, MO to their home in May, 1991.  I did not want to know the sex of my baby and so when my water broke on August 12, 1991 I knew I would know soon enough.  So my mom and I drove to the hospital at Beale AFB and waited and walked and waited.  That was a very long night.  Then at 7 am the doctor said he needed to induce, it had been over 12 hours and no sign of labor.  They started prepping for the pitocin and no sooner than they got me hooked up to the IV and my beautiful, perfect son was born.  It all happened so fast, the doctor wasn't even in the room.  Then the baby was not breathing properly and the nurse and my mom wisked him down the hall.  August 13, 1991, with no pain meds and very little pitocin my firstborn is very healthy.
My second baby shower was given after her birth by a friend at church at her home.  The baby shower was light snacks, visiting and so much fun.  We did not want to know the sex of the baby and so, as with the first, my water broke one very early morning (1 am) and we took our time going to the hospital, especially if I had to wait 12 hours again.  So I showered, cleaned the house, and ate.  My mom came down to watch the kids about 5:30am.  We headed to the hospital and waited...and walked and waited.  We met other mom's waiting.  One would become a play date buddy for my daughter in her early years.  The doctor started the pitocin and a little longer and harder labor a beautiful, perfect baby was born.  She was past her due date by 3 weeks and a very healthy baby.  

Baby showers are now so diverse:  full meals or snacks, fancy cake/cupcakes, games/no games, co-ed, "reveal" events, and extravagant decorations*thanks to Pinterest*.
The shower tonight is a co-ed (this will be my husbands first shower ever to attend), a full barbeque dinner, a game, and beautiful cupcakes.  
Tonight's baby shower will be a showering of blessing upon a family, who within the next month will have a beautiful firstborn boy added to their family.  


*If you wish to comment on my blogs please login to a gmail account first*  This is a community blog--I welcome your stories and comments.  

Books I am reading today:  America's Greatest Disasters by Martin W. Sandler, Culture's Collide by Ann Rosi, Amazing Native American History by Liz Sonneborn,, Saltypie by Tim Tingle.  

Movies/TV shows:  Lark is Rising to Candleford.

No comments:

Post a Comment